Benefits of ISO 9001:2015
Updated: Jun 15, 2021
Before we dive into the benefits of ISO 9001 certification, let’s first have a glance at what ISO and ISO certification is.
ISO, or the International Organization for Standardization, is a non-governmental international organization, that develops various standards to ensure quality, safety, and efficiency of products, services, processes, and systems. Being ISO certified means that a management system, a process / processes, service(s), or a company as a whole, has met all the requirements set by the ISO. There are currently over 20,000 standards published. A company can get as many certifications as it desires, provides it complies with all the requirements.
Coming to ISO 9001, it is a standard that refers to quality management. ISO 9001 is one of the most popular standards, and defines the criteria for meeting various quality management principles. It specifies the requirements for a QMS – Quality Management System. ISO 9001 can be applied to organizations, irrespective of the size, industry, or geographical location. It is a voluntary standard and any organization can opt for a certification. ISO 9001 was first introduced in 1987, and the most recent version of the standard was developed in September 2015.
In a survey being conducted by BSI, it was found that:1. 66% clients benefited from improved quality of products / services.2. 60% clients reported reduced likelihood of mistakes3. 57% clients were able to attract new customers through the certification
Being ISO certified comes with numerous benefits, some of which are:
1. Increased customer satisfaction: The very aim of the standard is to improve quality of all process, products and services by planning to meet and exceed customer expectations.
2.Improves credibility and goodwill of the company: Being an internationally recognized certificate, ISO 9001 certification assures buyers that the company has set practices, and that it complies with all quality requirements. This boosts the trust that buyer’s have on the company.
3. Increase in Sales: ISO 9001 certification helps a company retain its existing customers, as well as in acquiring new customers. Since customer satisfaction is high, customer loyalty is also high, which ensures repeated business. On the other hand, when potential customers know that a company is ISO 9001 certified, which is an internationally recognized standard, customers tend to trust the company and product over a company that is not certified.
4. Participate in Tenders: One of the most common eligibility criteria to participate in Government tenders is to be ISO 9001 certified. Hence, obtaining this certification enables a company participate in various tenders.
5. Evidence Based Decision Making: One of the seven management principles laid down in ISO 9001:2015 is evidence based decision making. This means that rather than going with your instinct, or your gut feeling, decisions must be based on evidences.
6. Engagement of Employees: ISO 9001 stresses on the fact that employees who are involved in the improvements of the processes they work in, are happier. Keeping your employees aware about the processes, involving them in testing the changes and improvements implemented, will lead to more productive employees.
7. Improves Supplier Quality: ISO 9001 helps companies define set rules while evaluating suppliers. It helps you identify best performing suppliers as well as identify those who are adding to costs. Thus, with ISO certification, companies can evaluate their vendors, and choose the right vendor for the right project.
The above are just some of the many benefits ISO 9001 offers. If you would like to know more about ISO certification, its benefits, or the assessment process, we at Infimind Institute can help you. You can contact our team, and we'll be happy to assist you.